The Club History

The first ever tennis match at the Church…

9th August 1919

The first ever tennis match at the Church…

A few friends in the Church formed a tennis group and played on a grass court of one of the Church members – Mr. H….

Read more

The group get organised

4th October 1920

The group get organised

The group was so successful they decided to form a club. Land in Brockley Grove was loaned by Mr Wood – turf and construction was…

Read more

Tennis Club Formed

4th November 1920

Tennis Club Formed

The Hutton & Shenfield Union Church Lawn Tennis Club was formed and the first committee meeting minutes were recorded. Here’s a copy of the first…

Read more

The first match is played on the two courts

20th August 1921

The first match is played on the two courts

The two courts were officially opened by the Minister, Rev. John Thomson and Mr Wood played the first game. Unfortunately the result has been lost…

Read more

Moles cause trouble

27th August 1924

Moles cause trouble

Due to the rural surroundings, moles ruined the grass surface of the courts.

Read more

A special meeting is called

27th August 1925

A special meeting is called

A Special Meeting of the Club was called to consider two shale courts. Shale is a type of clay court and is a similar surface to…

Read more

Hutton Tennis Club Ltd is formed

27th September 1925

Hutton Tennis Club Ltd is formed

Hutton Tennis Club Ltd (HTCL) – a non-profit making company was formed. The Company financed the two shale courts by a loan from the Bank…

Read more

Courts 1 and 2 completed

27th August 1926

Courts 1 and 2 completed

The courts were completed and that year the Company purchased the land from Mr Wood. Here are some lovely memories collected from Rod Greig. I’m…

Read more

Court 3 appears

27th August 1936

Court 3 appears

Land purchased for another shale court (court 3). We are incredibly lucky and thankful to have been supplied this image of Meta Watt (later Burrows)…

Read more

Land for Court 4 and 5 acquired

27th August 1954

Land for Court 4 and 5 acquired

The land for courts 4 and 5 was purchased and court 4 laid down followed by court 5 some years later. We have another photo…

Read more

Works completed

27th August 1975

Works completed

Court surround netting provided to the club for a grant of permission (by HTCL) for sewer pipe laid from pump unit in Silver Birches to…

Read more

And then there was light

27th April 1991

And then there was light

Flood lights for courts 4 and 5 were erected. Here’s an interesting news article – we think from the 1980’s (I am sure Paul Constable…

Read more

Astroturf on court 1, 2 and 3

27th October 1995

Astroturf on court 1, 2 and 3

The three shale courts 1/2/3 could only be used for 6 months in a year. The committee achieved the funding to resurface these with Astroturf,…

Read more

Courts 4 and 5 were converted to Astroturf

27th April 1998

Courts 4 and 5 were converted to Astroturf

Courts 4 and 5 were converted to Astroturf. Remember Meta Burrows from back on this timeline? On the left below? Well here she is again…

Read more

General improvements

27th August 1998

General improvements

Court 4/5 area……Ground work to improve access, drainage, occupation and environment…spectator shelter…reconstruct dog-leg path…upgrade paths on three sides of courts…..soakaway drainage. Here’s the 1997 Ladies…

Read more

And then there was more light

27th August 2002

And then there was more light

Floodlights installed on courts 1 and 2 after several years of obtaining and complying with ‘planning’ issues, thus providing four floodlit courts. Here’s a lovely…

Read more

More improvements

27th August 2010

More improvements

Another major development. Fencing fully replaced around all five courts. Court 1/2/3 surfaces replaced with new Astroturf, filled with rubber granules rather than sand. And…

Read more

Extended playing time

27th August 2012

Extended playing time

Floodlights on courts 4/5 modernised with replacement lighting on taller columns. Council Permission received to extend evening playing time on courts 1 and 2 from…

Read more

Car parking facilities dramatically improved

27th August 2013

Car parking facilities dramatically improved

For several years, in conjunction with the Church, applications for parking restrictions in Brockley Grove were submitted. Often there were cars parked in Brockley Grove…

Read more

Court 4 and 5 resurfaced

27th August 2014

Court 4 and 5 resurfaced

Court 4/5 surface replaced with new Astroturf….again, remarkably having been in use for 15/16 years. The committee spend a lot of time and brain power…

Read more

Summer house and patio

27th August 2016

Summer house and patio

Another major development for the Club. Establishment of the summer house with patio and patio furniture. This provided club members with a wonderful facility for…

Read more

Covid-19 hits

23rd March 2020

Covid-19 hits

Covid-19 pandemic – most club play stopped, and the club room and summer house closed from March 23rd; general adult singles play allowed again from…

Read more